Saturday, March 31, 2007

Grace Defined

Grace is the nature and resources of God available to us 24/7.

Grace is the overflowing favor of God, the expression of His nature. God expresses His grace through love and mercy.

Grace is unconditional love expressed through unconditional acceptance made available to us through the unlimited resources of God because of Christ death on the Cross. Because of the Cross, the wrath of God toward sinners is removed. "Grace and truth came through Jesus Christ." John 1:17

Grace is like oxygen we breathe. We cannot store up oxygen today for tomorrow. It must be appropriated moment by moment. God's grace is appropriated in a similar manner...daily! Remember the story of "manna." The grace you had yesterday will not do for today.

Prayer is the exercise of drawing on the grace of God.

"I have chosen you" (John 15:16) is the way the grace of God begins in our lives.

"Living under the law is the tendency to desire a list of preset boundaries and not a relationship (For example: a young male asking how far he and his date can go sexually.) While law and grace both have commandments, Grace comes with an inbuilt ability to obey what was commanded. Under grace, I don't get a road map...I get a tour guide, the Holy Spirit. He directs, reveals and empowers me to be and do what the Word says." Bill Johnson, When Heaven Invades Earth, page 93


PLUGGING INTO FUTURE GRACE

My faith in past grace (i.e. the Cross and redemption) is wonderful and effective for my initial salvation. God's future grace, His power and wisdom and energy through the Holy Spirit, is just as wonderful and effective. My faith for living the Christian life and for Christian service is not in past grace, but in future grace...the confident assurance that the grace that saved me will also empower me to live today and to serve Him in all of my tomorrows.

Future grace is faith in the character and nature of God, that He will fulfill all of His promises. I live today by future grace. I serve today by future grace. "For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ." (II Corinthians 1:20)

Grace is the nature and character of God and by faith I plug into an intimate relationship with Him. I receive His grace right now and I have confidence that His grace will be there in the future. "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." (II Corinthians 9:8)

Whatever ministry I have is His ministry and it is empowered by His grace.

"But by the grace of God I am what I am and His grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them-yet not I but the grace of God that was with me." (I Corinthians 15:10)

No comments: